(Big thanks to https://hikeminded.wordpress.com/, for my unexpected Liebster Award and the inspiration to write this piece. Great blog to, well written and great photos.)
You can imagine my surprise when I recently discovered my blog had won an award…back in July!
It goes like this…
“The Liebster Award 2016 is an online award that is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means favorite. It’s a great way to explore new blogs and expand your network.”
My first reaction was “is this even a thing?”, which is a bit of a silly thought because people giving and receiving this award clearly makes it a thing…but I was curious if there was anything official? Did some site have official rules?
There’s no official “Liebster Award” site as far as I can find, and it doesn’t even have a Wikipida page. On the one hand, nothing exists until it has a Wikipedia page…but on the other hand I’ve found a limitless number of blogs that have given and received this award…it’s totally a thing! And they all seem to have a slightly different version of it…with slightly different “rules”. How can it not be on Wikipedia? I’m mystified…
“What the hell is this Liebster Award” you ask?
Well…I don’t really know…I was asking myself the same thing as I looked over the post on hikeminded saying I’d been given this thing…but after some confused scrolling up and down this is what I gathered…
Official rules of The Liebster Award 2016 if your blog has been nominated and you have chosen to accept it, are below. I’ve found varying rules on the internet, so hopefully I have included them all!
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
- Answer your nominator’s questions and create 11 questions for your own nominees to answer.
- Nominate about five blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers.
- Give 10 random facts about yourself
- List these rules in your post.
- Once you have written and published it, you then have to: Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it.
Yup…some of this seems odd. And it seems like a lot. Not one to toss the awesome out with the less-awesome I figured I’d make the most of it.
The 11 questions directed at me were rather interesting, so here goes…
- Did you ever think about not taking a camera on your hikes? – I usually don’t, for me photography is art and sometimes I want to do art but otherwise I try to avoid experiencing the world through a lens.
- Are you afraid at night when you camp solo? – Some times, being alone at night in unfamiliar places can definitely be scary…I’m more afraid of bears taking my food than attacking me though. And I’m more afraid of tick than bears.
- What do you do against it? – I check for ticks and hang my food up high, and when I’m scared I usually use my rational mind to keep me safe until I calm down and then take time to process my emotions when it feels safe to do that.
- Which human quality/characteristic would you like to have (more)? – Um, maybe physical fitness at the moment actually? Having a hard time doing things and remembering times when those things have been easier for me is an experience that really frustrates me some times. Granted this is off the top of my head and not particularly deep thinking :)
- What makes you angry? – People leaving heaps of pistachio shells on the side of the trail…fucking hell! I know it’s “bio degradable” but so is everything eventually and pistachio shells take SO SO long to break down…I’ve spent hours picking up and packing out hundreds and hundreds of pistachio shells that had spent years in the wilderness with no sign of breaking down. I’m generally not an angry person…but this one gets me every time…
- In which situation have you ever wanted to stop a hike and why did/didn’t you you do it? – Many times, countless, I try and stop more often than not…there’s such a push in my culture to accomplish goals and make it to the end at all cost, so bailing on things is a way to appreciate the moment and not doing something just to say I did it. I’ve been pushing my self more recently though, and I’d say I’ve had mixed results.
- What is the best funny quote you found lately? – I’m not sure, skipping this question. She question 6 :)
- What is the best serious quote you found lately? – Now I’m thinking maybe I should keep better track of quotes?
- What was your favorite hike ever and why? – Oh wow…um…crossing a steep scree slope ridge in the middle of the night far from trails and having no idea if I would be able to get down the other side. Spent so much time wondering if I would fall, if so how badly hurt would I be, would I be able to get out, would I die? That night was crazy, and I definitely wouldn’t choose it again…it’s also rather permanently emblazoned in my mind down to the smallest details, and I appreciate the memories.
- Why do people vote for Donald Trump? – Because they think it’s the best option they have? Apparently a lot of people made this choice…I didn’t…I do however think that there are many large and problematic patters that led to him being elected, and seeing him as the root of these problems can make it harder to see the underlying patterns them selves…of which he is merely a symptom. There, I think I’ve earned back some deepness points after the shallow response to Question 4?
Well, on that note I’m going to try and rap things up…
Rather than getting to picky about blog nominations here are some blogs that I’ve enjoyed a lot…some small some not so much…
http://unclippedadventure.com/ (actually one of my favorite blogs ever, done in comics, so good!)
And for really anyone who wants to answer 11 questions from a random stranger, here you go…
- Who inspires you to have adventures?
- What’s your earliest big adventure memory?
- What images (pictures, movies, real life, etc.) do you find inspiring?
- What to you wish people your current age had told you when you where little?
- If you could travel to any place is space and time, but couldn’t come back, where/when would you go and why?
- What’s a question you would like to be asked more often?
- What’s a question you would like to ask other people more often?
- If you could share a single sentence with every person on the planet (translated into their preferred language) what would you say?
- Toasted on non-toasted?
- Did you assume question 9 was referring to bread?
- What questions do you wish I had/hadn’t asked here and why?
With that I’m really going to wrap up this rather long and random blog post…maybe consider shutting off your computer and going outside now?